Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sport, Society & Me


   Personally, I believe that sports are a language and that have the ability to connect groups of individuals in ways that would not be likely had they not practiced the same sport. Sports make it possible for people to reach and achieve things that they may not be able to accomplish in other platforms of life. Through the success of sports, individuals feel empowered to excel in other areas of their life and this transforms a sport into a passion. Growing up with my father and three brothers, sports have constantly played a part in my life. Interestingly enough, gender roles in sports were heavy in my household, and being the only female practicing sports, I often felt pressure when my family attended my sports events. My brothers would constantly make remarks such as, “women’s soccer games are boring; y’all are soft”. These type of gender constructions ended discouraging from further participating in sports. However my father and brothers continued to play soccer, I can vividly recall my brothers they all wanted to go pro, and their participation in sports often meant sacrifices not only by their part but my ours too. Witnessing their achievements and success made me develop a passion towards the sport as well. 
   The fidelity and alliance people in the United States give towards sports could make one believe that sports were their religion. Sports inevitable work as a label which as previously stated, can connect individuals, but also have the ability to create serious divisions within groups of people. Overall, I would say that in the U.S. sports play a positive role in our society because they allow individuals to reach pinnacles that might not have been possible without them playing their sport. Recently in the media, there have been many controversial opinions on corner back Richard Sherman from the Seattle Seahawks. As many of us witnessed over the weekend, Sherman’s passion and dedication along with his teammates got them entrance into the Superbowl. In a post interview, Sherman expressed his feelings towards his success and competition as well as rivalry with Michael Crabtree of the opposing team; his strong statements led many Americans to brutally criticize Sherman. Out of one of the many articles and reviews, there was one titled, “What Richard Sherman Taught Us About America” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-saul/what-richard-sherman-taught-us_b_4631980.html.



    
The article emphasizes on the athlete’s triumph and success he reached by playing football. This story in essence summarizes what a sport can do to the life of an individual in the U.S. Without a doubt, sports are among the most important subcultures in our country.  Athletes are what make sports team possible, and this is why athletes are constantly under the sharp knife of society. However, I believe that the story and background of an athlete is contingent on their race. Whether we choose to accept it or not, race affects everything from how society views an athlete, to how an athlete is seen or valued.
  -Rosy Garcia

2 comments:

  1. I this post is extremely to the point and I feel that many can relate to your story. I like how at the end you analyze race within sports and I think you make an incredible point. Playing sports and being surrounded by athletes all the time gives me a sense of what message you are trying to convey.
    Neira Ortiz-Ruiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you were able to relate. -Rosy

      Delete